Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Simple Shoyu Chicken

I lived in Hawaii for a time, and while I was there, I experienced some of the best foods, that  I have ever eaten. Philippine, Japanese, Hawaiian and Samoan foods.  This recipe is one that I learned from a Family of 18. I was their babysitter. They also introduced me to the Halloween series. The girls taught me to french braid.  Fun People!

This is, I have been told, is a Hawaiian Local Favorite. Each Family does it differently. It is very close to Adobe chicken.


 ** reminder, as with any recipe read over thoroughly before attempting**

Here is our version:

2 pounds of legs and thighs
2 cups of soy sauce
2 cups of water
Ginger. Ginger comes in many forms. Whenever possible I use ginger root. You can get this in the produce section at any Safeway. Peel and cut into one inch pieces. Score the root before use.  Extra ginger can be peeled and cut into one inch pieces then placed in a freezer bag and freeze for up to a year.  It stays in the fridge for about a month. Use a 2-4 inch piece of root.  You can also use ginger oil. Wonderful stuff!!  Harder to find. The very last thing I would use is ginger powder. Use 2-4 tablespoons of the powder. Add the first two, at the beginning then 1-2 more tablespoons as u go along. Bye taste. :)

Place first 4 ingredients in a large pot. Add more water if needed to cover the chicken.  Bring to a boil. Reduce to a hard simmer and cook for about 45 to 55 minutes. Until the skin falls off easily and meat pokes clear.

reserve about a 1.5 cups of the liquid.

u can boil the liquid down or serve as is.

Presentation:
Pineapple
Green Pepper( or any combination of colored peppers)
White Onion
White Rice ( cooked about 3 cups)

Cut pepper and onion into large chunks Fry the vegetables in olive oil for just a cpl of minutes. Toss in the  chunk pineapple, toss until the fruit is warmed through.

 Place rice on a platter, spoon vegetables/fruit over top, then place the chicken on top.  Spoon a cpl of spoonfuls of the liquid over everything. Can sprinkle with dried parsley and/or paprika, for a nice effect.



This is my own creation, pulled from my head :) Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! This is probably my most favorite way chicken is prepared. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT recipe. I added brocolli and snow peas.. my family LOVED IT! Even my PICKY 9 yr old ate two helpings.

    ReplyDelete