Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken Chimichangas

This is my own original recipe. As I have said before, I am not a chef or a professional.....most my recipes r right out of head, like this one.  I have made this about 300 times in my life, so this recipe is second nature.   Its one of my most requested meals. 


4 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
one package of taco seasoning
1/2 of mild salsa
Burrito sized tortillas    Note* Can use whole wheat or any of the new flavored ones.  Remember though turn the heat down some and keep a close eye on these when frying, they tend to burn faster, than plain flour.
jalapenos( optional)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
olive oil
2 cups warm water
vegetable oil

 Add seasoning to the water....mix well.  Heat a fry pan with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add onion and pepper.  Add chicken breasts, brown on each side.  Add the seasoned water about 1/2 cup of salsa, turn heat down and simmer until chicken is done,(adding some water as needed, to keep it from burning) about 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool. Using a 2 forks, shred chicken. (add jalapenos at this point if using............can also add to individual chimichangs, when rolling them)  Warm Tortillas up in a plastic bag in the microwave.  Makes them soft and pliable, easier to roll.  put about 3-4 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of the tortilla. fold bottom over the chicken, then each side, and roll up tucking the sides in as you go. Flatten them gently with your hands. You want them flat and rectangular shaped.

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep fry pan, until very hot, not smoking. Smoking oil is too hot and will burn food without cooking it. Also can catch fire at this point.

Fry each chimichanga on the fold side first, to keep them closed.  Fry until very golden brown on each side.  I serve over a bed of shredded lettuce and garnish with tomatoes and chopped onion and serve with sour cream,  my guacamole and my Salsa Fresco.  Recipe links:

Recipe link for my creamy gaucamole

Recipe link to my Salsa Fresco

No comments:

Post a Comment