Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Very Simple, yet delicious Brisket.

Ive made brisket for many years by boiling it with cabbage. I stumbled upon making it in a cast Iron quite by accident.  We had just moved and the only pan that had been unpacked was a cast iron fry pan. I had a brisket ready to cook.  At this point in my life, id only used a cast iron a few times, mostly for frying potatoes, so I wasn't very confident.  But the results was the best brisket I have ever had.

A cast iron fry pan
aluminum foil

6 cloves of garlic

one very large onion, even two is good, thinly sliced

Mrs Dash
2-3 pound brisket. 

Make sure your pan has been well seasoned.  To season a cast iron: Preheat oven to 450.  Clean with soap and water, dry thoroughly and the oil the inside pan down. Every part of the surface.  Use vegetable oil.  Wipe out the remaining oil.  Place in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Some people say put it in upside down, but I never have and mine are fine.  It may smoke a little and smell weird, but thats normal.  Turn oven off, let the pan stay in the oven until room temp.   Remove and let cool completely before using.  If you cant fry an egg in it, repeat the process.  I know it seems like a lot of work, but once you get used to a cast iron, you'll swear by them.  They are my most used item in my kitchen. I  bake, fry, sear, and roast in them.

Ok Back to the Brisket. :)  Preheat oven to 325.

Take it out of the packaging and toss the season package. That stuff is gross :P
The brisket is slimy, so I rinse it off in cold water, then pat it dry. Put the onion and the garlic in the cast iron, place brisket on top and season.  Can use a variety, but I find Mrs Dash original works the best.

Seal the pan well with aluminum foil, so it has no leaks, use a lot if you need.

Place in the preheated oven.

After about an hour and half pull your brisket out and remove the foil, drain any liquids.  Work carefully and slowly, because its going to be hot.  Turn oven up to 375. Replace back into the oven for another hour and half, checking for liquid frequently. Anytime you see liquids, drain it. The less liquid at this point the more crispy the fat gets, making for a very nice brisket.  Continue this until the brisket looks very dark and you can stick a fork in and twist it...........the meat should fall apart. Ive even burned one once and it was still delicious. The fat was crispy like bacon. Remove and let sit for 20 minutes before cutting into it.  ( if you can wait, we almost never make it) Its good served with a creamy horseradish.

This is the way I make it, I am sure there are other more methods, but this comes out so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment