Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Amazing homemade french fries

These I figured out quite by accident.  I was in a hurry, had an emergency with one of the kids.  Molli had broken her pinky finger.  I was making french fries, when it had happened,  I had cut up potatoes cooking in oil. I took the taters out of the oil, and stuck them in the fridge. I  had an old crappy fridge back then and when I got back, my fries were frozen.

I thought, with a shrug : "what the hell." and heated up the oil and tossed them in. Turned out perfect. Amazing fries are what the kids call them. Found out later its the preferred method of making homemade fries minus the trip to the Emergency room, that is.


 Amazing fries:
 
3-4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed down and cut into strips. Thickness depends on what u prefer. But be sure they are all the same thickness. Otherwise you have some done before the others.  We like a good thick fry. 

Be sure to dry the fries thoroughly.

About a half gallon of oil. Now we prefer vegetable oil when we r deep frying, but u can use peanut oil or safflower oil. Don't use Olive oil. It has a low flash point and can catch fire easily.

Electric Deep fryer is the best. But you can use a pan, but u need a good thermometer. I keep two thermometers in my kitchen one for meats and one for candies.
Seasonings: ( to taste) Salt, garlic powder and paprika

Heat Oil to about 250.

Add the french fries add just enough to cover the bottom and avoid crowding.  Cook, until they are just starting to turn brown.
Remove with a slotted spoon and put on paper towels, single layers.  Continue cooking the fries, until all gone.

Put into the freezer for about 30 minutes. U want them very very cold, even slightly frozen.

Heat oil to 350.  Fry until golden brown.  Spoon out on to a paper towel and season immediately. We like Salt and Garlic powder and of course my favorite paprika! Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment